A water leak at Auckland City Hospital has struck the main adult building — requiring a shutdown of supply as attempts are made to rectify the problem.
Health New Zealand | Te Whatu Ora Te Toka Tumai group director of operations, Mike Shepherd told 1News: “Work is underway to repair a water leak in one of the wards that is affecting water supply across parts of the main adult hospital building — Building 32.
“There will be a full shutdown of the water system in Building 32 from 6pm [Wednesday]. This is expected to last for up to 10 hours and will mean no tap water will be available throughout Building 32 until we have the issue resolved.”
Shepherd said there were “robust mitigations in place” to ensure the delivery of clinical care continues.
“Our patients and staff remain safe and comfortable,” he said. “Toilets, dialysis ports and fire sprinklers operate on a different water system and are unaffected.
“We want to reassure patients and whānau at Auckland City Hospital that they will continue to receive high-quality clinical care.”
RNZ reported a message had been issued to staff, warning there would be no tap water until the problem was fixed.
Bottled water and hot water was being delivered, and toilets were still working.
The main building has operating theatres and maternity delivery suites.