A New Zealand man has been charged after allegedly assaulting three people at Sydney Airport earlier this week.
The Australian Federal Police (AFP) responded to a report of an assault in the international departure terminal on Tuesday afternoon.
The 37-year-old allegedly assaulted an airline employee before assaulting two more people, an AFP spokesperson said.
“A crowd of people in the terminal then stepped in to restrain the man until the AFP arrived.”
He was arrested, taken to hospital for assessment, and then released into police custody where he was charged with two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and one count of common assault.
The offences have a maximum penalty respectively of five years’ and two years’ imprisonment.
Sydney Airport police commander Davina Copelin said the community, including airline workers, had the right to expect to feel safe at Australian airports.
“The AFP has zero tolerance for antisocial, violent or disruptive behaviour at our airport precincts, and we will take action against those who offend.”
He was expected to appear in the Downing Centre Local Court on April 2.