Twenty firefighters will return to the scene of a wildfire in Northland on Saturday morning.

The fire started in Awarua, south of Kaikohe, at about 12.30pm on Friday and quickly spread over 10ha of scrub.

It destroyed one building before fire crews established a containment line along Tokowhero Rd.

Fire and Emergency said 10 firefighters had been monitoring the blaze overnight, and strengthening the containment lines.

Twenty were returning Saturday morning, alongside heavy machinery and a helicopter.

Assistant Commander Corey Matchitt on Friday said this may be the second fire in Northland in three days to have been ignited by grinders.

All northern and western parts of Northland were subject to a total fire ban.

rnz.co.nz

Share.