Taylor Swift joked she feared she was going to die as she battled a kitchen fire in her $50 million (NZD$81.7 million) New York City apartment.

The Bad Blood singer, 34, was revealed by her friend Gracie Abrams to have been caught in a minor blaze at the luxury home months ago, and Taylor’s pal has now posted footage on her Instagram of the star battling the flames with a fire extinguisher.

Swift is seen in the clip as a pan goes on fire on her hob: “What do I do about this?”

As she grabbed a fire extinguisher, the singer added: “So I cut this with a knife? I think we’re going to die.”

And as Swift pointed the extinguisher at the flames and struggled to get foam to emerge, Abrams told her: “Just press it.”

Swift is then seen calling the device a “b****” before getting it to work.

She added in the clip after the fire was put out: “Our purses are ruined. And my shoes. And the whole room, I think.”

Abrams, who is director JJ Abrams’ daughter added: “It smells really good, though.”

She also shared a video from earlier in the evening of the fire as she and Swift co-wrote Us, which came out ysterday with the release of Gracie’s first album The Secret of Us.

Abrams said about creating the tune with Swift: “Writing this entire song from 2am to 6am was some of the most fun I’ve ever had in my life. @taylorswift now we know how to use a fire extinguisher. I love you.”

Abrams initially recounted the story about the fire from six months ago in a Billboard interview.

She said: “I don’t know how at this hour or in our state she knew what to do. We both had an insane cough from the fire extinguisher fumes for weeks.”

Swift is currently in England on her Eras Tour – with her boyfriend Travis Kelce, 34, spotted supporting her in London on Friday night (local time) as she played Wembley Stadium in front of 90,000 fans and celebrity guests including Nicola Coughlan and Cara Delevingne.