Two men have been arrested over a gang fight which police believe was a precursor to the killing of Palmerston North man Hori Gage, who was shot dead in front of his children in August last year.

Detective Sergeant Dave Wilson said the men, aged 18 and 25, have been charged over the Main St gang fight, which was sparked by “several altercations” both inside and outside a Hokowhitu bar on Friday, August 4 — two days before Gage’s killing.

Gage had been shot dead in front of his children and partner on Sunday, August 6 outside his Croydon Ave, Highbury, home.

Police revealed in November that it was believed Gage had been killed in retaliation for the gang fight, which he wasn’t involved in.

Wilson said the “several altercations” at the bar had culminated in a fight between rival members of Mongrel Mob and Black Power, which saw a senior Black Power member stabbed.

The detective sergeant said an 18-year-old Wellington man is due to reappear in Wellington District Court on January 26 charged with injuring with intent to injure, relating to an assault on a bar patron inside the Main St bar.

A 25-year-old Porirua man is due to reappear in Porirua District Court on Friday charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, relating to the Main St stabbing.

Wilson said police’s investigation into Gage’s violent death continues, with investigators working to gain a clearer picture of the events on August 6 “to ensure those responsible are held to account”.

“The arrests of those for events on Main Street on 4 August has been one part of this investigation,” he said.

“It was always important not to forget what started the road to the murder of Hori.

“These arrests show the police’s commitment to holding everyone accountable for their actions over the weekend of 4-6 August.”

Anyone with information on what led to Gage’s death, who have not already spoken to investigators, are urged to contact police on 105. Crime Stoppers can be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111.